All Points Medical Waste Blog
E-Cigarettes & Vape Pens Waste
What Are the Disposal Requirements?
E-cigarettes and vape pens have become more and more popular, in fact reports show that more than 55 million people worldwide use these devices. So disposal of these items and their waste is an important topic to consider. While many may believe that vape pens, cartridges and pods are innocuous, the reality is that any item that contains or did contain nicotine can be considered hazardous waste. So with that in mind, here’s a look at the waste requirements:
Dangers of Improper Disposal
Nicotine is considered an acute hazardous waste. Improper disposal of any items that contain nicotine or even traces of it can be dangerous. Poison control agencies around the United States receive thousands of calls each year relating to accidental exposure to nicotine liquids. The substance can be fatal to young children and harmful to animals and the environment.
Proper Disposal of E-Cigarettes & Vape Pens
The first and most important thing to understand about disposal of e-cigarettes and vape pens is that they cannot be thrown into the regular trash or recycling bin. Here’s the recommended steps to take for safe disposal according to the FDA:
- Do not rinse nicotine cartridges and other products that contained liquid nicotine because the residue can then contaminate the water which can in turn pose a danger to humans, wildlife and the environment
- Use caution when handling e-cigarettes and vapes–nicotine residue can seep into the skin and cause accidental poisoning
- Do not throw any materials from vape pens or e-cigarettes into the regular trash or the recycling bins
- Remove the rechargeable battery and store separately from the empty cartridges
- Place cartridges (pods) in a sealed, leak proof container and store in a cool, dry place
- Check with local and state waste agencies for hazardous waste facilities where empty cartridges and related materials can be disposed of
- Be sure to deliver waste on a regular basis and do not overfill your container
Proper and safe disposal of all items that contain liquid nicotine and the associated materials used to ingest it is a responsibility of all who use these devices. Be sure to follow the steps above to protect yourself and others from the dangers of exposure.
All Points Medical Waste provides full service medical waste disposal to Florida. We are a family-owned and operated company located in Stuart, Florida and serving customers from Broward County all the way to Okeechobee County. Give us a call today or complete the form on this page to learn more.