All Points Medical Waste Blog
How to Safely Handle COVID-19 Medical Waste
Tips for Preventing Exposure
As we navigate through the COVID-19 pandemic, healthcare workers and medical professionals at all levels are on the front lines, risking their lives to save others. As this disease and its effects evolve, everyone, including citizens, needs to ensure they are up to date on not only preventing infection through proper hygiene and by following the mandates from the CDC, but also by ensuring they are disposing of medical waste properly. Take a look:
Waste Generated at Home
If you or someone in your home has COVID-19, it’s important to dispose of all waste safely to protect others in the household as well as sanitation workers and the community.
- Do not throw face masks, gloves or other waste materials into the recycling bin
- Throw tissues, gloves, face masks and other items into a sealed garbage bag
- Wash all bedding, towels and other personal hygiene items before reusing
- Wash hands frequently or sanitize with hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol
- Use disinfectant wipes to sanitize surfaces like door knobs, faucets,
handles on toilets, etc.
- Wash all clothing immediately after shopping
- Do not throw used gloves and masks on the ground, always find a trash receptacle
Waste Generated in Healthcare Settings
- Medical facilities should ensure there are no-touch receptacles for disposal, at entrances, inside waiting rooms, in restrooms and where patients check-in
- Medical professionals should use dedicated or disposable noncritical patient-care equipment including blood pressure cuffs, thermometers, etc.
- Healthcare workers should use disposal or washable PPE (personal protective equipment) such as gloves, masks and gowns
- Facilities should provide training on how to properly dispose of or to disinfect PPE for all workers
- Waste generated from COVID-19 patients or those suspected to have COVID-19 should be treated as infectious waste and standard procedures for waste disposal should be followed
During this period of uncertainty, we are all touched by the effects of this virus. And while states work to flatten the curve and medical experts diligently work to save lives, it’s critical that everyone follow the mandates set forth by officials.
All Points Medical Waste is a family owned and operated company located in Stuart, Florida.
As an essential business, we are continuing to serve our customers across South Florida and are dedicated to providing you with the most up to date information about COVID-19 as it pertains to medical waste. For more information, please give us a call or fill out this form.